IBB calls for Synergy in the fight against COVID 19
1. I Wish to use this opportunity to commend governments both at states and federal levels on the efforts so far made towards managing the spread of COVID 19 in Nigeria.
2.Although the numbers keep rising, the situation is still being kept at manageable levels within the limits of our health care system . However, these gains need to be sustained with enforcement of appropriate and consistent social distancing prescription for effective prevention of further spread of the pandemic
3. It is time for synergy between Federal Government efforts and that of states where majority of citizens live with attendant implications for flattening the curve , increasing testing capacity and reduce the pains and we have the lesson and experiences of China, Taiwan and other countries to benefit from.
4. There is no room for blame game now but concerted support by all Nigerians and I commend with due regards to the professional display and wonderful efforts of our frontline medical personnel for their patriotism, resilience, sacrifice and commitment to this fight of eradicating covid-19.
5. I salute the courage of individuals , groups and corporate entities for supporting governments at various levels While commending governments officials for various palliatives geared towards alleviating the excruciating pains associated with the lockdown.
6.I Enjoin our Christian brethren to use the holy period of Easter to pray for the country in the COVID 19 pandemic situation and to our Muslim ummah to use the month preceding the holy month of Ramadan to pray fervently for Allah’s mercy and reprieve in the circumstances we find ourselves
7. We all have our roles to play collectively and there is need to observe all recommendations of NCDC and adhere strictly to directives of government on basic hygiene-Wash your hands frequently with soap under running water, avoid touching your face & high-contact surfaces and also avoiding gatherings & physical contact thus Practice social distancing by to prevent
spread of the COVID 19.
General Ibrahim B Babangida GCFR
Former Military President,
Federal Republic of Nigeria.