Ekiti centre has one ventilator – -Commissioner
The Ekiti State Commissioner for Health, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, has said the state had only one ventilator in its isolation centre.
Yaya-Kolade, who disclosed this at a press conference in Ado Ekiti, said the state was awaiting the result of a test conducted on a 23-year-old male patient, who manifested some symptoms of the virus.
She said the second COVID-19 case in the state, a 42-year-old male patient who tested positive for the virus on Wednesday, had been admitted into the isolation centre while the environment team would be going to disinfect his premises as soon as possible.
The commissioner also stated, “We have only one ventilator at the isolation centre at Oba Adejugbe Hospital. However, we are making efforts to source for other to make it two.”
A’Ibom’s five cases came in contact with foreign medical outreach – Commissioner
The Akwa Ibom State Government said it had commenced tracing contacts with persons suspected to have come in contact with a foreign mission from where the five index cases might have contracted the virus.
The state Commissioner of Health, Dr Dominic Ukpong, who briefed journalists on Thursday after a meeting with the state incident management committee, said the five cases were those whose came in contact with a foreign mission that conducted a medical outreach in the state.
He said, “We have started tracing the contacts of those who assisted the foreign mission that conducted a medical outreach here in Akwa Ibom State. We started doing that yesterday( Wednesday) when the results were announced.”
Health ministry fails to provide sanitiser, thermometers for workers
The Federal Ministry of Health has failed to provide sanitiser and forehead thermometers to check the temperature of workers and visitors to its office in Abuja.
Findings on Thursday showed that workers and visitors to the ministry were not screened or given sanitiser despite the leading roles of the health ministry in the campaign against the coronavirus disease in the country.
One of our correspondents, who visited the ministry’s office located at the Federal Secretariat, Abuja on Thursday, was not screened with the thermometer or given sanitiser as was being done in other public places, including shopping malls and private offices.
An assistant director in the ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity, explained that everyone was baffled by the failure of the authorities to provide the safety kits for the staff of the ministry.
He said that the workers had resorted to buying sanitiser, face masks and other safety kits that should have been supplied by the government.
He noted, “We have been demanding the reason for the refusal of the health minister and the permanent secretary to provide safety kits such as sanitiser, forehead thermometers and face masks for workers, but no one is saying anything.
“When you (our correspondent) were coming into the office, did anyone check your temperature or give you sanitiser? The same thing happened during the outbreak of Ebola. We were not given any safety or protection kit until one month after the crisis had ended.”
But the Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations in the ministry, Mrs Enefaa Bob-Manuel, claimed the authorities had provided bottles of sanitiser for the workers.